Monday, March 4, 2013

What-the-What?

At the risk of jumping into something that well might be a hoax I have to say I'm very intrigued by the news that The Pirate Bay is abandoning it's Norwegian home and seeking refuge in...North Korea?

Coming days after a visit from Self-Marrying/Cross-dressing/Madonna-dating/Worm Dennis Rodman one has to wonder if North Korea has developed a new form of Nuclear Centrifuge powered by how fast the Eternal President and Dear Leader are spinning in their respective graves.

While we know that North Korea has no problems with counterfeiting, this is a whole new territory for them.  I can see this being borne of necessity for The Pirate Bay, but I have to say the optics on it are terrible.  How can you argue for a post-national, post-capitalist freedom of speech from one of the world's most repressive and isolated countries?  How can you encourage people to download and share music, movies and media in a country whose citizens don't even have access to it.  You've just fed the MPAA and IRAA the best possible talking point they could imagine.  This is a great publicity coup for North Korea and only further complicates the possibility of restarting the six party talks. I can only imagine how crazy the happy hour at the Vice offices will be this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment